Hi, everyone! I will just create a quick blog post about this 4 Days 3 Nights Taipei, Taiwan solo travel for less than US $200 as I’ve been receiving messages and how I did it. Everything was DIY or Do It Yourself, and I had no itinerary at first, but I just wrote a list of possible things to do to do.
My flight happened on November 8, 2016, with departure time at 9:45 PM and arrival in Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Terminal 1 at 12:25 AM. Just imagine that this flight schedule is not okay for everyone. I ended up sleeping at the airport.
- AT (Airport Tax) – PHP 1620
- TF (Terminal Fee) – PHP 750
- AFT (Airfare Ticket) – PHP 1020.80 from Cebu Pacific
- Visa – free with ROC travel authorization certificate although Taiwan visa is expensive
- PHP 10,000 converted to US $200 – US $1 was around PHP 46
- US $200 converted to NTWD or New Taiwan Dollar which is NT $6,199 (minus charge of NT 30 from NT 6229)
Purpose of this Trip
Solo travel on my birthday week in Taiwan which it was the first time I did in my life. I should be traveling with a friend but due to unforeseen circumstances, she had to cancel.
Three Easy Ways to Reach Taipei Main Station
- From the airport, there is a bus bound to Taipei Main Station
- To experience the HSR, take a bus to HSR Taoyuan Station, purchase ticket going to Taipei Main Station
- Update: There is a Taoyuan Airport MRT to Taipei which started their service in March 2017.
Where to Stay in Taipei?
- Main Inn Taipei – I stayed here during my first trip in November 2016 for my birthday with other solo travelers and in the same room, I met a guy from Japan. I also met another traveler from the US. I really love the place and highly recommended. The common area is so spacious and convenient as I can work with my online job as well. The hostel is near Taipei Main Station for 10 minutes.
- Taipei Family Hostel – On my second trip to Taiwan in December 2016, I stayed here and recommended this to a friend who happened to be in the same days as me so I didn’t feel alone as we stayed in the same room. The hostel is really vibrant. My bed was near the window so it was good and not really dark. It was convenient as it is a 5-minute walk from Zhongshan station and a 10-15 minute walk to Taipei Railway Station.
4 Days 3 Nights Taipei – Budget and Itinerary
Day 1 – November 9, 2016
- Sleeping at the airport arrival at 12:25 AM
- EasyCard – Top up with NT $200 (Easy Card borrowed from Jeremy, a friend, who had been to Taiwan)
- Taking a bus to HSR Taoyuan Station in the morning – swipe with EasyCard
- Taking the High-Speed Rail from Taoyuan Station to Taipei Main Station for NT $155
- Arrival at Main Inn Taipei – paid NT $1581 for 3 nights
- Meet up with Janice – we got acquainted through a travel forum and met in person at last in Taipei to show me around
- Beef noodles for NT $140, Bubble Tea Milk for NT $40, water by NT 20 c/o by Janice
- Taking the MRT going to XianXiang for Elephant Mountain
- Elephant Mountain with no cost
- Family Mart lunch or snack c/o Janice
- Taipei 101 Building
- Chiang Kai Shek Hall at night (best to go in broad daylight)
- Dinner at Ximending Night Market c/o Janice
- Back to hostel at Main Inn Taipei
- Drinking beer during my birthday eve c/o Yoshi from Japan until midnight
Happy 28th Birthday to me! I arrived in Taipei on November 9 and went to Elephant Mountain for a hike. Thanks @janiceasiong for this shot and showing me around! And the food trip as well! Hahaha! 😘😘😘 #theTravelIntern #hiking #taipei #taiwan #happy28th #happybirthday #birthday #taipei101 #taipei101tower #taipei101bldg #ElephantMountain
Day 2 – November 10, 2016
- Hey shawty, it’s my birthday!
- EasyCard top up for NT $100
- Woke up late because of tired legs from hiking
- Sushi breakfast for NT $60
- Conversation with Tony from the US talking about Philippines and US politics
- Meet up with Kohei from Japan in the afternoon
- Beef Ramen – Late lunch at Taipei City Mall for NT $59
- Sun Yat Sen Hall at night (best to go there in broad daylight)
- Taipei 101 Observatory at night for NT $600 c/o Kohei as a birthday present
- Food hopping at Shilin Night Market
- $50 Chao fan plus drink (Chao fan is $90 c/o Kohei / drink is $30)
- $40 Fresh Fruit juice
- $90 (2 bubble tea milk), as you can see Kohei paid almost everything
- $60 potato fries ($120 per serving)
- Back to hostel
Day 3 – November 11, 2016
- $60 sushi for breakfast
- Easy Card top up for $100 (should have top up $200 or more)
- $40 bus ($90 bus to Jiufen – use Easy Card or pay exact amount of cash on the bus as there is no change)
- $400 souvenirs in Jiufen
- $800 to $1000 Jioufen Tea House
- $100 bus back to Taipei
- Dinner at Din Tai Fung c/o Kohei
- Back to hostel
Day 4 – November 12, 2016
- $100 sushi for breakfast
- Meet up with Ghing and Princess
- MRT to Taipei Zoo
- $120 Maokong Gondola
- $60 Taipei Zoo entrance
- McDonald’s late lunch c/o Ghing
- Meetup with Kohei and friends
- Ice cream waffles c/o Kohei
- $1300 taxi going to the airport due to unnecessary circumstances
- $40 locker because I accidentally brought Kohei’s pocket wifi and earphone 😂
- Fortunately, I was able to catch up my flight at 1 AM the next day
- A bus and HSR is going to the airport which you could pay less.
Taiwan Itinerary and Expenses Google Docs Link
Please visit the Google Docs link I created, and this is to show how much I spent, and friends spent for me.
Google doc link: Taiwan Itinerary and Expenses
My Personal Budget in Taipei would be
- Accommodation for three nights – NT $1581
- Daily food budget right for three meals multiplied for four days – NT $500 * 4 days = NT $2000
- Daily MRT fare multiplied for four days – NT $200 * 4 days = NT $800
- The rest would be miscellaneous for shopping and souvenirs
4 Days in Taipei is not enough. I missed some places to visit due to the rain in the morning which I prefer to stay in bed and waited for the rain to stop.
Traveling on a budget in Taipei is possible, and other expenses are optional like the Taipei 101 Observatory, High-Speed Rail, and Dinner at Din Tai Fung as there are several free things to do in Taipei. I thank my friends for the birthday treat: Jeremy for the Easy Card, Janice for meeting me and showing me around, Yoshi for the beer, Kohei for the reunion meet-up from Cebu, Ghing and Princess for fun at Maokong Gondola and Taipei Zoo.
Book your Hotel with Agoda